Thursday, August 12, 2010

Public Service Commission – Day 8

After passing the halfway point of my internship with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, I am sure that when my time at the Public Service Commission (PSC) is over, I will have had an amazing experience.

On August 2nd, when I started work, I was unsure of what it would be like. I had no idea what I would be doing. There is another Shad, Zea working here too. We met with Derick and Jay, our supervisors and we discovered that we would be researching and composing a report about why the PSC should target some of its recruitment efforts towards high school students. This report is our main focus.

I’ve realized that being a student working in government is very exciting! Besides the fact that both Zea and I have our own offices, and government email addresses, we get to participate in some interesting events! Last Tuesday, a breakfast reception was held for all Shads working with Newfoundland & Labrador government in St. John’s. This was great as we got to meet two more Shads from different campuses. We learned about what they did at Shad and what their internship entailed. This Tuesday, we Shads met with the premier of Newfoundland, Danny Williams. We talked about Shad and then he addressed the Youth Retention and Attraction Strategy (YRAS). We will be discussing and putting our input into this strategy at a later date. Yesterday was another exciting day. We participated in a True Colours workshop and then a Career Exploration session. It was interesting to learn that my colour/personality is orange, and how to interact with people of the same or different personalities.

Today has been spent in the office, revising the report and researching the YRAS, it seems somewhat uneventful compared to the rest of the exciting week, but it’s interesting nonetheless. It’s been a great experience so far, and I look forward to the days to come.

Myfanwy Price
Hometown: Logy Bay