Friday, August 20, 2010

August 20 - Hatch Engineering

Looking back on the past three weeks, I realize that they have passed by unbelievably fast. It must be an indication that I am truly enjoying my Shad internship experience. During the three previous weeks I have been working at Hatch Engineering in Mississauga, Ontario. I, along with three other Shad students have been filling different job positions meant to expand our knowledge and interest of engineering.

Personally, I have been working with computer modeling software designing components of a retractable roof to a professional baseball stadium. Being a 10 year baseball player myself, I have found the work very engaging and interesting. Just this past week, I finally reached a stage in the design process where I could start to electronically fit some of the components together. For me, seeing weeks of work all come together to create a unified system is an indescribable feeling. It left me feeling proud of myself with regards to the amount of information I learned about engineering in just three weeks.

I would like to express my thanks to Shad Valley, for presenting me with this wonderful opportunity. I truly feel that my experience at Hatch has already, and will continue to help me in ways that my previous summer experiences have not thus far. And to Hatch Engineering, I would really like to thank everyone who has made me feel welcome and has guided me through my first three weeks. I never could have imagined that among 400 people in one office (not to mention international offices) I would feel like part of the team. I was definitely proven wrong. I am certainly looking forward to my final week but I know that saying goodbye to this experience will be difficult and reminiscent of my last days at Shad UNB.

Justin Samardzic
Hometown: Oakville, ON