Monday, August 2, 2010

August 3 – NB Power

Today was my very first day at my internship at NB Power. The morning was mostly orientation, signing forms and going through the ethic book and company website. I must admit, we have a pretty awesome website!
I worked with Joannie Bradshaw for most of the day, as she will be my main supervisor for the duration of my time here. She manages the balanced scorecard for the company, as well as several other important tasks! She showed me around the floor that we are on (3rd floor), and to everyone’s offices and she told me what each person is responsible for (I met quite a lot of people, but a few people were away on vacation for the week). She also took me to the call centers on both sides of our floor, and she showed me where the emergency calls are answered (for power outage emergency, extreme water heater problems, etc.). I got to see the lounge on our floor, the cafeteria downstairs, and communications/payment center downstairs in the front lobby. Joannie also took me for a drive to show me where to park during the day! I am currently situated in Rachel Norrad’s office for the week since she is away (I used to do gymnastics with her daughter), and I was given my own laptop (not to keep of course, hehe). After lunch I was set to work on a utility research assignment (comparing the customer service measurements for the different power companies across the country), for the rest of the day.
For tomorrow, Joannie has planned for me to sit with a person from the call center so that I can listen in on what goes on through that perspective. As well, she arranged for me to sit out front and observe what goes on in the payment center. Personally I can't wait for tomorrow, it should be a great day.


Nikole Watson
Hometown: Oromocto, NB