Monday, August 23, 2010

August 23 - RBC

As I begin my last week here, I look back and can honestly say that not one day has been the same as the day before. Working with RBC Contact Centre, I’ve had a chance to see what goes on behind the scenes and the incredible amount of work that goes into each phone call the bank receives.

So far, I’ve worked with five different groups. My first week was spent with the Client Analytics group, which focused on using a brand new speech analytics program to analyze phone calls. Later on, I visited other groups such as Project Management, Workforce Management, and Reporting.

In each of these groups, I learned about their roles and picked up helpful tips along the way. This ranged anywhere from discovering how to create a website demo using PowerPoint to calculating how many workers were needed to maximize efficiency. Even in the most tedious data entry tasks, I managed to learn something new every time – bringing back reminiscent memories of Shad Speaks and lectures on finding opportunity.Along the way, not only did I learn things about each department, I also began to see how each group fit into the much larger scheme of things.

Although at Shad we often complained about the bureaucracy of large corporations and the brilliance of small, innovative companies, at RBC I learned that often it’s not about how quickly a project is done, but rather how it gets done. As I walk past familiar faces, I sometimes can’t help but marvel at how intricate the relationships between each department are. Like Shad, RBC is a truly interdependent community.

And if I’ve learned anything in the past month, it’s that alone you may go very quickly, but only together can you go far.

Nina Chen
Hometown: Mississauga, ON