Thursday, August 19, 2010

Internship at RBC Financial

Internship? I didn’t even know what internship meant for the longest time. Dictionary.com defines it as any official or formal program to provide experience for beginners in an occupation or profession. I define it as something beyond experience, a radical change perhaps. You see, an experience is something that just happens; an occurrence and it may or not have an impact on one’s life. A radical change has impacted the individual’s life, transforming it into something different and new. I have definitely participated in an internship.

RBC Financial has changed me, transformed my life, and has helped me grow as an individual. The radical change of an internship starts not when you do the work, it starts when you get out of bed. I get out of bed, make my breakfast, put on my dress shirt, my dress pants, and my dress shoes, take my RBC bag and go to work. I come in front of the beautiful RBC building, standing like a professional with my lanyard and photo pass card with access to the different floors in the building. I go sit at my desk with my computer and my chair. I say “Good Morning” to my fellow co-workers and my work day begins. At 9 am, after the arrival of our last co-worker, we all go to the servery for a coffee or water break. The key word there is all. The establishment of a community, which was emphasized at Shad Valley UNB is still being emphasized here at RBC, here in the workplace.

I am challenged here at RBC with new projects that test my skills and understanding. I enjoy working with my team members and am grateful for their support and generosity as they make time for me in their busy schedules. I can say many things, I can go on and on, but you will really only understand what I’m saying when you participate in an internship for yourself. For it is not some ordinary experience, it is an internship, that will radically change your life forever.

Justin Bansal
Hometown: Brampton, ON