Thursday, July 29, 2010

July 29 – Employment with EnCana

This summer, I am working at EnCana, a natural gas company. Today I had a really unique opportunity at work to take a course on presentation skills offered to students employed at EnCana. The course was such a great experience for many different reasons. First, this course was offered exclusively to students at EnCana. This provided me with the opportunity to get to know students currently attending post-secondary institutions and learn about their areas of study and the schools they attended. I met a variety of students attending universities across North America and around the world from a business major studying in Paris, to engineers at the University of Calgary, to a sociology and economics major studying abroad.

The workshop itself was also an incredible experience. I got the opportunity not only to learn about how to construct a great presentation with power points and presentation structures, but I also got the chance to go up in front of the workshop class four times and practice presentations on a variety of topics from the introduction of another student, to the process of how I came to work at EnCana, to different theories attempt to explain the universe. I got great feedback from my peers and I came out with a great base of knowledge on presentation skills.

Peter Gustainis
Hometown: Calgary, AB