Monday, July 26, 2010

July 26 - My first day at IBM!

Today was the first day of my work term, and being new to IBM and to Toronto, I had no clue where I was going. My Dad was driving along and we were listening to the directions on the GPS. All of a sudden, the GPS said “You have reached your destination.” Surprised, I looked around, and the only thing on my right was a cemetery. However, we soon located IBM at the end of a ramp, on its own private ‘island’, with high security and the interior of the building is creatively decorated.

My first day there was absolutely amazing! Firstly, a tour was completed and next, I met my manager and my team and got to know them and our project a little bit more. My partner and I received our desktop computers and started to download the necessary applications and software. We started learning the basics of computer programming, and started writing a few applications of computer software! It was a great opening day where I felt extremely welcome. After seeing some of the work previous interns had done, my intrigue for this job increased. After my first day, I am thrilled to say that I can’t wait to see what the rest of this internship has in store for me!


Kriti Kumar
Hometown: Nepean, ON