Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Internship with Ericsson Inc.

It is the end of my second day working with Ericsson Inc. I’m so excited to be working with the same company which invented Bluetooth technology! I’ve met with my supervisor and we outlined what I would be working on for the next week. I will be having semi-weekly meetings with him to discuss my progress with the project I’ve been given.

The project itself is to design a website for Ericsson’s “Green Team”. Ericsson already has such a website in place on their intranet but they want to develop one on their own collaboration site, EriColl. What’s nice about designing a website on EriColl is that there is no programming or coding involved whatsoever. It’s similar to the software used to design wiki pages on Wikipedia. Today I completed the first draft of my outline for the new website. The final draft will be presented to my supervisor on Thursday.

Working with Ericsson is a pleasure. There is a lot of flexibility in terms of when you work your forty hours a week. You can leave your desk whenever you like, there is no one looking over your shoulder. As a consequence you can take your lunch break whenever you like, wherever you like. You can eat in their café, at your desk, or in the employee lounge. Finally, I discovered today that employees can sign up for weekly massages. I had one today, it’s nice to be able to leave your desk in the middle of the day to get a massage just a few floors down.

Harley Nadler
Hometown: Montréal, QC