Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 28 - my third day!

Today is my third day working at RBC. Thanks to my supervisor, Audrey, I am starting to get acquainted to the work environment at the technology and infrastructure department.

To start me off, Audrey gave me a “welcome mat” project on the first day. This project required me to create a brochure that provides details essential to new employees covering information anywhere from recycling to safety and emergency procedures. Originally, Audrey was responsible for this task; but she brilliantly thought to delegate this to me. It will help me get oriented to the organization by compiling the information used to orient future new employees. After I finished the draft copy of the brochure that morning, I booked a meeting with Audrey and one other person to review the draft. Later in the afternoon, I had the pleasure of hosting the meeting. I presented the “draft welcome mat” and received many feedbacks. The “welcome mat” is to be edited and further reviewed.

Aside from this project, I also had the opportunity to attend the meetings of 2 multi-million dollar projects of which Audrey is the project manager. After every meeting, Audrey and I always have a debriefing period where I get to ask questions and she will explain to me the details of the project, meanings of common terminology used, and most importantly how to effectively run a meeting.

My three days working at RBC has already shown to be a meaningful and extraordinary experience. I look forward to the rest of the internship.

Hank Xu
Hometown: Mississauga, ON